Establishment of the village

 

Koukouli is one of the oldest villages in Zagori and it is believed to be established before 1430 AD, since it is mentioned having a few families in the list of villages that signed the Treaty of Voinikos.
Moreover, an inscription inside the central church of the village mentions that the village  was built in 1630 for the second time.
It is assumed that it was first built at least 300 years before.
There are various traditions and legends about the establishment of the village.